The Golden Age of Tech was a program by which David Miscavige entered key additives into auditing technology that damaged auditing gains. Those additives include,
- the blanket invalidation and suspension of certificates of ALL auditors trained before May 1996, including Class VI, VIII, and XII auditors personally trained by L. Ron Hubbard.
- the invalidation and cancellation of the Flag "Okay to operate an E-Meter" certificate which is good for life.
- implementation programs that were invalidative or previously trained auditors, requiring retraining on "Auditor Certainty Courses," which in effect amounted to full retraining, which the auditors had to pay for.
- confusions on the definition of instant reads. An instant read is defined as “that reaction of the needle which occurs at the precise end of any major thought voiced by the auditor.” Miscavige wrongly interpreted that to mean any reaction that occurred at the end of the sound made by an auditor. This is not difficult. It's at the end of the thought, not at the end of the sound!
- the idea that for an F/N (the meter action that signals the end of a process or action) to be valid the needle had to swing three times in order to qualify as "rhythmic." This violates numerous HCOBs and the specific definition of a floating needle as defined by LRH and set pcs up for disastrous overruns.
- changes in LRH's proven training pattern which included fast basic training on the Academy to make it possible for an auditor to audit specific actions mechanically well; followed by full training on all materials on the Saint Hill Special Briefing Course; followed by Class VIII which makes a zealot for Standard Tech who truly can audit with perfection. The changes set the Class VIII standard of perfection for beginning auditors — an impossible hill to climb.
- changes in rudiments, changes in buttons that were drilled in.
- forcing the inclusion of Dating Drills (EM Drills 22 and 25) and the final assessment drill on a Professional Metering Course which added, sometimes years, time to the runway to make an auditor. The Dating Drills are virtually never needed in actual auditing, having been replaced by Date/Locate patter in 1978, and certainly are never needed by a Class IV or V Academy Levels auditor. The Pro Metering Course acted as a major block to training auditors.
For more information, read this article by Dan Koon.